The Goods and Services Tax Network (GSTN) has recently provided comprehensive guidance and instructions regarding the Geocoding Functionality for Additional Places of Business. This development represents an important step forward in the realm of tax compliance and administration in India. Let’s discuss the latest updates and insights related to the GSTN geocoding advisory specifically tailored for businesses with multiple locations or additional places of operation.
Expansion of Geocoding Feature:
- GSTN is excited to share that they’ve upgraded their system to include the location of additional business addresses.
- This is a big deal because it means their platform now works in every part of India.
- They already had a feature that showed where the main business is, and now they’ve added the same thing for extra business locations.
- This makes GSTN even more useful for people doing business all over the country.
Significant Geocoding Milestone:
- What makes this development particularly noteworthy is the scale of its implementation.
- GSTN has successfully geocoded an impressive count of over 2.05 crore business addresses, encompassing both primary and secondary business locations.
- This achievement underscores the organization’s commitment to ensuring accuracy, standardization, and efficiency in the tax registration process.
- Commencing from March 2022, all new addresses submitted during the GST Registration process undergo geocoding, aligning with the broader digitalization initiatives of the Indian government.
1. Utilizing Geocoding on the GST Portal:
- Access the geocoding feature via the FO portal under Services >> Registration >> Geocoding Business Addresses.
- The system generates an automatic geocoded address which can be accepted or modified. Manual input is also an option when the system-generated address is unavailable.
- Viewing and Management:
- Saved geocoded address details are accessible under the “Geocoded Places of Business” tab in the user’s profile.
- Note that this is a one-time task, and address changes post-submission are not allowed.
- Address Modification Process:
- Address modifications on your registration certificate can only be made using the core amendment procedure. The geocoding feature does not alter previously saved addresses.
- Eligibility Across Taxpayer Types:
- This geocoding feature is available to various taxpayer categories, including normal, composition, SEZ units, SEZ developers, ISD, and casual taxpayers.
- It is accessible irrespective of the taxpayer’s status (active, canceled, or suspended).
In conclusion: Adding more places of business to geocoding is a big step for India’s efforts to make tax collection easier and more organized using digital tools. GSTN, which is in charge of managing taxes, is committed to making sure the information is accurate and easy to access. This helps all kinds of businesses, big and small, follow the tax rules correctly. This improvement fits perfectly with the bigger plan to make India a digitally advanced country and keep our tax system up-to-date with the best practices from around the world.