Filing of GSTR-9 for FY 2021-2022
What is the GSTR-9 annual return?
GSTR 9 is an annual return to be filed yearly by taxpayers registered under GST. Points to note:
- It consists of details regarding the outward and inward supplies made/received during the relevant financial year under different tax heads i.e. CGST, SGST & IGST and HSN codes.
- It is a consolidation of all the monthly/quarterly returns (GSTR-1, GSTR-2A, GSTR-3B) filed in that year. Though complex, this return helps in extensive reconciliation of data for 100% transparent disclosures.
What are the details required to be filled in the GSTR-9?
GSTR-9 is divided into 6 parts and 19 sections. Each part asks for details that are easily available from your previously filed returns and books of accounts.
- Broadly, this form asks for disclosure of annual sales, bifurcating it between the cases that are subject to tax and not subject to tax.
- On the purchase side, the annual value of inward supplies and ITC availed thereon is to be revealed.
- Furthermore, these purchases have to be classified as inputs, input services, and capital goods. Details of ITC that needs to be reversed due to ineligibility are to be entered.
1. Who has to file GSTR-9?
Registered Taxpayers having aggregate turnover of more than Rs 2 crore are mandatory required to file GSTR-9.
2. Amendment in Tables of GSTR-9
I. Table No 4- Details of outward supply on which tax is payable
Earlier Table No 4I to 4L optional ( Credit /debit notes / supplies /tax/declared through amendments) i.e we can report net of debit/credit notes amendments but from F.Y 2021-22 it will be mandatory to report – all columns of Table No 4
II. Table No 5- Details of outward supply on which tax is not payable
Earlier Table No 5D to 5F related to exempted/Nil-rated/Non-GST supply was optional and we can report consolidated figure related to above but from F.Y 2021-22, registered person have to give separate information related to Non-GST supply and consolidated figures for exempted and Nil rated supply. Option to Fill Table No 5 – net of credit/debit note amendments continues for F.Y 2021-22
III. Table No 6- Details of ITC availed during the F.Y
Option to report break up of inputs and input services continues or entire amount as inputs but information regarding ITC related to capital goods need to be separately given. Further, option to give information relating to ITC related to reverse charge related to registered person or un-registered person in Table No 6 D only i.e consolidated figure continues for F.Y 2021-22.
IV. Table No 7- Details of ITC reversed and Ineligible ITC during the year
Option to report entire amount of reversal in Table 7H only continues for F.Y 2021-22 but reversals on account of transitional credit need to be separately given.
V. Table No 8- other ITC related information–
Taxpayers have to give information from Table No 8A to 8D and upload the same without CA certification in GSTR-9C
VI. Table No 10,11,12 & 13 –Details of transactions reported in next financial year:
Option to give details of transactions reported in next F.Y continues for F.Y 2021-22
VII. Table No 15 and 16- Particulars of Demand and refund & Supplies received from composition taxpayers , deemed supply by job –worker and goods sent on approval basis :
Option to fill details stated above continues for F.Y 2021-22.
VIII. Table No 17- HSN-WISE summary of Outward supplies-
Mandatory to report HSN summary of outward supplies for F.Y 2021-22-
√ Six digits HSN code for Turnover above 5 crores
√ Four Digits HSN code for all BTOB supplies up to Rs 5 crores