Casual Taxable Person Under GST regime is an individual or business that occasionally undertakes taxable transactions in a state or union territory where they are not registered for GST. For example, a business based in one state that occasionally provides services or sells goods in another state.
Casual taxable person” means a person who occasionally undertakes transactions involving supply of goods or services or both in the course or furtherance of business, whether as principal, agent or in any other capacity, in a State or a Union territory where he has no fixed place of business.
A casual taxable person (other than those making supply of specified handicraft goods) making taxable supply in India has to compulsorily take registration.
There is no threshold limit for registration. Casual Taxable persons making supply of specified handicraft goods need to register if their aggregate turnover crosses Rs. 20 Lakh (Rs. 10 Lakh for in case of Special Category States, other than the State of Jammu and Kashmir).
A casual taxable person cannot exercise the option to pay tax under composition levy. He has to apply for registration at least five days prior to commencing his business in India.
Registration of Casual Taxable Person
A casual taxable person making taxable supply in India has to compulsorily take registration. There is no threshold limit for registration.
A casual taxable person cannot exercise the option to pay tax under the composition levy. He has to apply for registration at least five days prior to commencing his business in India.
There is no special form to register as a casual taxable person. The normal FORM GST REG-01 which is used by other taxable persons can be used for obtaining registration.
Process of Registration
- Apply for Registration by declaring your Permanent Account Number (PAN), mobile number, e-mail address, State or Union territory in Pat A of FORM GST REG-01 on the portal.
- Validate and verify PAN, mobile number and E-mail through OTP On successful verification of all, a temporary reference number is generated and communicated to the applicant on the said mobile number and e-mail address.
- Using this reference number generated, the applicant shall fill application in Part B of FORM GST REG-01, duly signed or verified through electronic verification code.
- The applicant will be given a temporary reference number for making the mandatory advance deposit of tax for an amount equivalent to the estimated tax liability. The same shall be shown in his Electronic Cash Ledger.
- Once it appears in ledger, The registration certificate is issued electronically Validity of Registration The certificate of registration is valid for the period specified in the application for registration or ninety days from the effective date of registration, whichever is earlier.
Validity of Registration
The certificate of registration is valid for the period specified in the application for registration or ninety days from the effective date of registration, whichever is earlier.
The casual taxable person is required to furnish the following returns electronically through the common portal, either directly or through a Facilitation Centre notified by the Commissioner:
a) FORM GSTR-1 giving the details of outward supplies of goods or services .
(b) FORM GSTR-3B giving the summary of supplies along with payment of tax.
However, a casual taxable person shall not be required to file any annual return as required by a normal registered taxpayer.
Refund by Casual taxable person
The casual taxable person is eligible for the refund of any balance of the advance tax deposited by him after adjusting his tax liability.
The balance advance tax deposit can be refunded only after all the returns have been furnished, in respect of the entire period for which the certificate of registration was granted to him had remained in force.